Proud to be a Top Ten finalist in the Best Music Print Media Website
category of the ONYA! Australian Online Music Awards.
Each month guitar picker and Webmaster
Bob Howe brings you the latest Country Music happenings on the
Internet. You can surf your way from month to month, or why not bookmark the
main index for the complete contents!
Join our mailing list below for notification of each new column.
Country Music Artists and Entertainers .... click here .... to find out how to get your OWN Web page!
Cowboys In Cybersp@ce - May 1999
By Bob Howe © 1999
"Well Hello, Emmylou"
How big is the World Wide Web? One may as well ask, "How long is a piece of string". Even if you could count the number of Web pages out there in cyberspace, they would probably have doubled by the time you finished counting! As an exercise, let's type EMMYLOU HARRIS into "Anzwers", the popular Australian search engine.
On the day that I write this, it tells me there are 8400 references to be found!
Near the top of the list is Eminent Records, label for Emmylou's marvellous album SPYBOY (released by Festival in Australia). As stylish as their page is, they bow to the depth of the unofficial Emmylou Web site, run by Kate@nashville.net who has produced the definitive resource to Emmylou on the Web. Spyboy Central is the section devoted to the album, and chronicles every facet of this live retrospective recording. News can also be found here that Emmylou will oversee a Gram Parsons Tribute Album, planned for release on Almo Sounds, that will include Elvis Costello and Chrissie Hynde. One to watch out for!
Kate's pages also contain a very comprehensive set of hyperlinks, cross referencing everything, including the musicians who played on Emmylou's albums. There is a lot to explore here, from the original Hot Band to SPYBOY co-producer Buddy Miller, who toured here with Emmylou, and also sings on Kasey Chamber's album. Naturally, there is a section devoted to the "Trio 2" album, with links to the excellent unofficial Linda Ronstadt fan page, and
the "The Best Little Dolly Site on the Web!", that features some great video clips of TRIO from the 80's.
One of the leading contributors to the "Trio" albums, David Lindley, has just visited Australia. Probably best known for his work with Jackson Browne, Lindley is a master of many exotic and unusual stringed instruments. On this visit he was accompanied by Wally Ingram, a percussionist with an equally idiosyncratic approach, whose credits include a stint with Crowded House. Dressed in chic polyester, the duo gave a masterful performance at the Metro in Sydney. Despite their playful nature and engaging repartee, socio-political conscience was never too far from the surface; from tales of the Mexican border (J.J. Cale's "Tijuana"), to their take on the early rock/R&B royalty rip-offs, "Pay Bo Diddley". Check out their Web site, named after their independently released album "Twango Bango Deluxe".
at The Metro, Sydney
photo ©1999 cyberBob
at The Metro, Sydney
photo ©1999 cyberBob
|Opening the show that night was The Dead Ringer Band's Kasey Chambers, in her second-only official performance as a solo artist. Accompanied by Bill Chambers on tasteful guitar and harmony, and Jeff McCormack playing bass with stylish authority, Kasey previewed the songs from her debut album "The Captain". If you buy only one CD this year, make sure it's this one! Listen to the lyrics of the first single, "Cry Like A Baby", and you will gain a personal insight into Kasey's thoughts, captured with amazing clarity. Rarely does one hear such understanding of what it's like to be young, actually written by someone at that time. Kasey manages to infuse her writing and performance with an honesty and worldly knowledge and that belies her tender years. With the wealth of the band experiences to draw on, Kasey has hit her mark, first time. Get the album and go see her play now, while you can. She is about to take the world by storm!
And now for a round-up of news and newly found sites:-
- A first for Australian Country Music: Tania Kernaghan was a special guest co-host on the Saturday Night Country ABC radio show with John Nutting , On-Air and On-Line! It happened on April 10th; John was spinning tracks from Tania's new album "Dancing On Water", and they both took phone calls from friends, family, and fans around the country. At the same time, members of the KERNAGHAN COUNTRY CLUB at the YAHOO! Chat Room, logged in and chatted to Tania and each other. Tania responded on the Internet and the radio airwaves. I asked her how she managed to juggle all these tasks, and she credited her Webmaster, Steve JW Roberts, for managing the on-line side of things. The most lively moment came when Tania, tongue-in-cheek, described her brother Lee as being 'ugly'. The girls in the Chat Room took exception to this and countered with glowing descriptions of Lee's anatomy!
- Those same girls will no doubt be pleased to know that Australia's hottest new male artist, Adam Brand, now has his own Web site. Read about his three wins from five nominations in 1999's CMAA awards, and much more.
- More award winners: The Spencer Band are a highly talented group from Tamworth NSW. Pam Spencer is on lead vocals and guitar, brother Kevin Spencer on vocals and lead guitar, Bill Baldwin on bass and vocals. The band began the year by winning 4 TIARA's. Check The Spencer Band site for their total trophy tally!
- Another of Australia's outstanding young Country Music artists, "Country Girl" Felicity has a Web site, which included news on her new album "Nothing To Hide" her upcoming appearance dates, and some recent press clippings. Whoo-hoo!
- The Swingteam have just hit the Web. The current list of their upcoming shows is available, plus news of the recording of their new CD, which will be out in Sept/Oct. They are promising lots more
info on their page soon.
Another new addition to cyberspace is Olivia-Jane Crick of the successful Aussie family group ‘HOT DIGGETY’. As she embarks on her solo career, Olivia-Jane's Web site has just gone on-line, and features a picture gallery, biography, tour dates, and just for fun...Olivia Trivia!
- Reckless Records was formed by Bill Chambers and Audrey Auld to produce and distribute 100% Hillbilly music. Reckless Records aim to capture the hillbilly spirit of traditional country music, without being retro purists, and that's why they have a Web site! The site has just had an excellent make-over, and is definitely worth a visit.
- Speaking of retro, but this time in the packaging, have you checked out the cover of The Warren Brothers album, "Beautiful Day In The Cold Cruel World". It features a "perpetual flip-book" that needs no computer assistance! Brett and Brad can be found on-line though, by visiting their Web site. There are the usual audio and video samples, plus a "Backstage" photo gallery with some interesting snaps.
- Last but not least, an Australian duo going by the name "Frankie Goes To Holloway" have just had a track released in the UK on a linedance compilation. The double CD collection is entitled "Toe The Line 4" (MCA Records), and our boys can be found rubbing shoulders (track-wise) with The Mavericks, Trisha Yearwood, Vince Gill, Reba, and many more. The song is a dance treatment of Allan Caswell's classic "On The Inside", and is of course the theme to the TV show "Prisoner", which is still incredibly popular in the UK, where it is known as "Prisoner, Cell Block H". They have enlisted the talents of killer Sydney vocalist Maz, and the infamous Frank Ifield as "The Narrator". The mysterious duo behind "Frankie Goes To Holloway" have extensive credentials in the Australian Country Music scene. You might learn their identities by visiting "Wanted: The Official Frankie Goes To Holloway Web Page".
Don't forget to listen out for Cowboys in Cybersp@ce
each month on the radio waves with Belinda Miller of
Murri Country , 4AAA –FM (98.9 in Brisbane).
If you want to share the location of an
interesting site you’ve seen or request a topic for discussion in
future columns, why not
next month, happy surfing.
Would YOU would like to be added to our FREE mailing list and be automatically notified each time a new Cowboys in Cybersp@ce article appears on the web?
Just enter your E-mail address (and/or comments) here and click the button once!
(If your browser doesn't support "forms", E-mail us above)
Back to top of this page
You can use this box to search this site for your
favourite Country Music artist...
...or if you want to search the World Wide Web...
...type their name into this search engine box and then press the GOOGLE SEARCH
the rest of our site while you are here...
INDEX/HOME || CHARTS &
|| QUIZ? || HARMONICA ||
WHERE TO SEE
BOB || DISCOGRAPHY || PRESS
LINKS || MUSICAL
WHAT'S NEW ||
FRANK IFIELD & THE
LENNON - THE
& THE ART OF GUITAR PLAYING ||
1999 Bob Howe Productions