Cowboys In Cybersp@ce is proud to be nominated in the Australian Print Music Publication Site
category of the ONYA! Australian Online Music Awards 2000.
Each month guitar picker and Webmaster
Bob Howe brings you the latest Country Music happenings on the
You can surf your way from month to month, or why not bookmark the
main index for the complete contents!
Join our mailing list below for notification of each new column.
Country Music Artists and Entertainers .... click here .... to find out how to get your OWN Web page!
Cowboys In Cybersp@ce - June 2000
© 2000 Bob Howe
"Hats Off, Log On"
If you are heading to Tamworth for the Hats Off To Country festival, you would do well to keep a cyber-eye on the excellent CMAA Web site, where they have devoted a page for the most up-to-date programme of events. You will find details of all the major activities, plus a rundown of who is playing where, around town. The highlight of course, is the Hats Off To Slim concert, and Cowboys In Cybersp@ce would like to send congratulations to the man himself on an outstanding effort on reaching his 100th album. We all look forward to many more. I have had the pleasure on a couple of times to play onstage behind Slim Dusty, and it was great thrill. On one of those occasions, Australia Day 1995, I was backstage while Slim and Tommy Emmanuel traded classic hillbilly song introduction licks on their acoustic guitars. When Slim decided to sing his rendition of 'Honky Tonk Women', I joined in on harmonica while Tommy took the Keith Richard guitar part. Great fun and memories.
Just launched...the Slim Dusty Website...check it out!
Tommy Emmanuel has a way to go to catch up with Slim's tally, but I have no doubt that if you counted his appearances on other peoples albums, you'd have no trouble passing the century mark. Tommy has just released a new solo acoustic album entitled 'ONLY'. Where Slim touches a nerve with the lyrics of his songs, Tommy's instrumentals contain a similar integrity. The album features 14 of his compositions, all inspired by people and events in his life, making it a highly personal musical document. 'Only' was recorded in Germany, mixed in Sydney and mastered in Nashville, and sets new standards in acoustic guitar recording. You can read the story behind each track, and much more about Australia's premier guitarist at the Official Tommy Emmanuel Web site.
One of the hot topics in technology and entertainment news lately, is the distribution of music and other computer files by fans. While a lot of this activity involves a breach of copyright, there are a lot of artists who see a benefit in releasing limited samples of their music for promotional purposes. Also, while some heavy-handed corporations have tried to close Fan-based Web sites (notably those that feature TV shows), it is nice to see someone encouraging some harmless fan activity on the Internet. The Wilkinsons actually give prizes for the best Wilkinsons' Fan Club sites! The rise of this family trio has been extraordinary, winning awards and countless nominations. The teenagers (Amanda is 18 and Tyler will soon be 16) continue to mature musically, and their latest album 'Here and Now' features several tracks written by dad, Steve. The hit single ' Jimmy's Got A Girlfriend' is also included, plus a guest appearance by Steve Wariner. The band has a good sense of humour too, with Amanda joking in their Press Release that, 'On the last album, Tyler's voice was going through that funky Peter Brady phase'.
I'm delighted to report that Cowboys In Cybersp@ce has been nominated once again in the Australian Print Music Publication Site category of the ONYA! Australian Online Music Awards 2000. Country Music is also represented in the Australian Artist Site category by Brendan Marolla, Deborah Minter, Frank Ifield, John Williamson, Kate Ballantyne, Lee Kernaghan, Mark Anthony Abbott, Mark Tempany, Pale Riders, Paul Kelly, Steven Dix, Tania Kernaghan, Treacle Line, and Troy-Cassar Daley. Other categories include Cool Country (on-line radio), CMT, Pass The Hat Around (Webcast), Kernaghan Country (fan site), the CMAA and The Country Hub (Music Industry Online Resource), Streetwise (Australian Independent Record Label Site) and The Country Music Store (CD E-Tailer). Apologies to anyone I have omitted. Voting began at the ONYA! Web site on May 15th, and every one who votes will have the chance to win an Apple iMac DV computer!
And now for our regular round-up of news
and newly found sites: -
- A new live Country Music show began in Sydney last month. Canterbury-Hurlstone Park RSL Club have presented many CM shows in the past, including Charlie Daniels, Jo Dee Messina, Kasey Chambers and Gina Jeffreys, and they have a solid reputation for providing the best in entertainment. In June they present the second of the series that goes under the banner of 'Canterbury Country'. Those musical maestros the Feral Swing Katz feature regularly, along with yours truly, cyberBob as host. Thursday June 8th at 8pm is the date and time for the next show, and the special guests on that night will include Darcy LeYear, Tracey Faith and Golden-Guitar Winner Rosemary Rae. There is no admission charge, and teenagers are welcome (with parental supervision). Check the Canterbury Country Web page via the Cowboys In Cybersp@ce site to see photos, and who the guests will be each month, and make a regular date for some good music with 'Canterbury Country'.
- Singer, songwriter and entertainer, Brendan Marolla made a surprise visit to the May 'Canterbury Country' show. At Brendan's official Web site you can find out where he's appearing around Australia, catch up on news and events in North Queensland and check out his album 'You & Me', recorded with Peta-Cherae Kleehammer.
- Hot U.S. newcomers Brad Paisley and Phil Vassar are CMT video favourites, and you can find them both at 'TwangThis!'. If you like Paisley's hit 'He Didn't Have To Be', take a peek at some video footage that was shot especially for a private Nashville party, honouring Brad for his first No.1 hit! Have your tissues ready for the testimonials from Mothers and kids though! Phil Vassar's debut hit, 'Carlene' is only one of five tracks from his excellent self-titled album that you can hear in full at the Web site. You'll soon realise why Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Jo Dee Messina, Diamond Rio and BlackHawk all had hits with song from his pen. Now with his rolling piano and energetic vocal style, he looks destined to have plenty of hits for himself. (This paragraph has been repeated from last month to preserve continuity with the printed version
- 1998 Toyota Star Maker winner Kate Ballantyne continues on her exciting musical journey. Her Web site has recently been revamped, so it's time to pay Kate another visit.
- As you might expect from the name, Helen's Tamworth Rage Page contains a personal look at the Tamworth Festival. However, it also includes pictures of the final 'Bill and Audrey's Hillbilly Jam'. Her page is updated regularly and has lots of news and photos.
- Steve Somers was with the famous Pop/Folk group The Settlers for a number of years and he has broadcast every week on BBC radio for he last eighteen years. He now tours the world performing a John Denver Tribute show. You see and can hear him on the Web.
- · If you are a fan of Daniel O'Donnell, you should take a look at 21-year-old Michael English. A native of County Kildare, his latest album 'My World' is a collection of Country and Easy-listening favourites. Find out more about him at the Ritz Records Web site.
Don't forget to listen out for Cowboys in Cybersp@ce
each month on the radio waves with Belinda Miller of
Murri Country, 4AAA –FM (98.9 in Brisbane).
If you want to share the location of an
interesting site you’ve seen or request a topic for discussion in
future columns, why not
next month, happy surfing.
Would YOU would like to be added to our FREE mailing list and be automatically notified each time a new Cowboys in Cybersp@ce article appears on the web?
Just enter your E-mail address (and/or comments) here and click the button once!
(If your browser doesn't support "forms", E-mail us above)
Back to top of this page
You can use this box to search this site for your
favourite Country Music artist...
...or if you want to search the World Wide Web...
...type their name into this search engine box and then press the GOOGLE SEARCH
the rest of our site while you are here...
INDEX/HOME || CHARTS &
|| QUIZ? || HARMONICA ||
WHERE TO SEE
BOB || DISCOGRAPHY || PRESS
LINKS || MUSICAL
WHAT'S NEW ||
FRANK IFIELD & THE
LENNON - THE
& THE ART OF GUITAR PLAYING ||
2000 Bob Howe Productions - ShowNet